Tuesday, July 16, 2013

shine bright like a...pearl?



Meghan.

I've always hated my name.  Despised may be a better choice of words.


It just seemed so bland and everyone in the world and their mothers had the same name as me.  Oh, but mine was super special because it had an H.  Man was I a superstar.

That six letter word has literally given me anxiety attacks my whole life.  I wanted to stand out and be someone special, something special.

Yesterday, I had coffee with a friend (surprise, right?)

We were talking about names.  What names mean, how it can apply to us and who we are.  I've always wanted my name to mean something beautiful and unique.

But Meghan.  It means pearl.  But until yesterday, I had never thought of how a pearl was made.  It starts as a tiny, insignificant grain of sand.  But then the pearl deposits this, velvety, smooth pearlness layer by layer.  Slowly it becomes a beautiful, gorgeous jewel or gem-it's worth more than anyone would even consider paying for sand.  Tons and tons of sand.

But that's just it, people don't sit there and hold a pearl, thinking 'Oh what a beautiful grain of sand.'  People don't look at me and think, 'oh she used to be so insignificant.'

We all started as a grain of sand.  We were rough, unwanted souls before God took us and decided that something needed to change.  He's working on us, on me, changing our ways and making us perfect.  He has made us perfect in his eyes, a pearl.

My name might not be unique or have a cool spelling, but it means something.  I'm a pearl, maybe not to the world, but God sees me as the perfect pearl He's creating.  And that's special.

http://weheartit.com/entry/67909828/via/StaRsForWiSheS
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...