Monday, November 7, 2011

optimism

























So last night at youth group, Paul was NOT being optimistic.  It had to do with the fact that he was tired, his arm hurt, and he was playing fuseball against Danielle in a cast.  Pretty funny to watch actually.  

Anyways, he did end up winning.  :)

But I don't know who said it, but I was going to write a blog about being an optimist and not a pessimist.

If you don't know what those are, you probably shouldn't be reading my blog. :)

I've had my fair share of crap and stuff I wouldn't want anyone to go through (even people I don't get along with).  I've had a ton of times where I just want to sleep all day and cry.  Life is hard, no one can say it isn't.  You can't change what happens in your life, but you can change how you deal with it.

Pessimism, pft, I've been an extreme pessimist before and sometimes I still am.  Sometimes, it's okay.  But most of the time, it's not.

I'm not saying I'm perfect and I'm always optimistic, bah blah blah.  But I am saying that if you try to look for the good in life, the bad doesn't seem so bad.  

Here's an awesome example:

Let's say a lady is on the highway going to the hospital to see her son who's dying of cancer.  She's upset and her driving is terrible and she's having the worst day of her life.  There isn't anything good in her life, or so she thinks.

You drive next to her.  She tries to merge into your lane, not seeing you and almost hits you.  She stays in her lane and you come up next to her.  

Do you flip her off like every other driver?

Or do you smile and wave at her?

If you do the first, she'll go to the hospital with an even heavier heart.  She'll feel like she now fails at driving, among the other things she 'fails' at.

If you smile and wave, you've forgiven her.  Said 'it's okay'.  She'll feel better, knowing that someone has been nice to her.  She hasn't failed.  The smile might make her smile, make her son smile.

The point of that story isn't teaching you road manners. :)  It's showing you that sometimes, if you're just nice to people, you might make their day.  It doesn't matter who they are or if you know what they're going through.

Now if you were a pessimist, you wouldn't be nice.  Pessimists will look for the bad in everything.  Quite depressing.

If you look for the good in things, you're life is better and it's easier.  Not easy.  But easier.  If that lady was an optimist, maybe she wouldn't have been so upset and felt like a failure.  If you were a pessimist you would've flipped her off because you felt that it was such a terrible thing what she did.

Stupid example, I know.  I'm kind of rambling today. :)

But my point is, be happy and look for the happy things in life.  I'm not going to tell you to stop and smell the flowers or whatever, I'm kind of allergic to flowers. :)

I'll admit that this post is sorta turning into a smile post.  But that's okay right?  I mean, smiling is optimistic. :)  And I don't know if you can find optomistic pictures without finding smile pictures.  So get ready to be bombarded with tons and tons of smile pictures(actually, I've had more pictures in a post.  This is only 23 and I've had over 30 before. :)  If they don't make you smile, I'm outta buisness. :)




































































Pics:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...