Tuesday, August 5, 2014

mexican stuffed vegan green peppers

Today is National Green Pepper Day!  In honor of this, I came up with a delicious stuffed bell pepper recipe.  Get ready for wild rice, quinoa, pinto beans, mushrooms, and jalapeños!

(Note: I did forget to take a vertical photo...so sorry, today was super stressful.  My poor computer, Guster, has burned through another hard drive.  Because this happened very, very quickly, I'm unable to back anything up to an external hard drive, so everything on there from June 26th to yesterday will be erased.  I've cried a lot over my pictures from the vacation that I'll lose, however, I may be able to recover them but we'll see.)

Prep time: About 20 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes.
Serves 4

Ingredients:
4 bell peppers
1 cup of uncooked rice
1/4 cup of chopped mushrooms
2 diced jalapeños

1)  Preheat your oven to roast 425.  Mix your rice with 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil.  When the rice boils, reduce to a simmer and cook for the suggested time or until soft.


























2)  Wash and chop your mushrooms and jalapeños.  Rinse and drain pinto beans in a colander.  Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and fleshy white matter(I really don't know what this is called, but it's the white flesh that you can pull out easily).


























3)  Line a baking dish (I used a 9x13 pan) with parchment paper and place the peppers into it.


4)  Mix rice, beans, and chopped vegetables.  Scoop about a cup of the mixture into each half.


5)  For non-vegans, throw some shredded parmigiano reggiano cheese.  Vegans, faux cheese works if you have one you love!


6)  Cook the peppers for about 15-20 minutes.  When you pull them out, you can add whatever toppings you want!  I used pato (a Mexican tomato hot sauce) and lime but you can also add guacamole, peco de galo, or anything your stomach desires!



It's much more fun to cook with a buddy!  Dakota has learned that he is not a fan of mushrooms, more for me!



Enjoy!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...